We have estimated that the total number of blogs online in 2018 is around 505 million blogs.
Blogging has taken the world by storm. What started as an online hobby has become one of the most important tools for online marketing. But how many blogs are on the internet? This is a very interesting question which leads to even more puzzling queries.
For starters, you may ask how many websites are there in total? How are these blogs affecting the internet? How much traffic do these blogs reel in? And much much more. For the purpose of this read, we will be looking into some statistics regarding the number of blogs on the internet. So without further ado, let’s get started.
Overview of How Many Blogs are there in 2018? [hide]
The Role of WordPress in the Blogging Industry.
When we think about blogging, WordPress immediately pops into our minds. The CMS currently powers 32.1% of the World Wide Web, which roughly translates to around 75 million websites. Now don’t forget to emphasize the word “websites.” WordPress isn’t predominately for blogs as many people use the CMS for creating websites as well.
Furthermore, since its inception back in 2003, WordPress hasn’t released any official figures as to how many blogs are being powered by the platform. Back then we only got to learn that around 500,000 bloggers using the platform. Going by current statistics, this figure should have grown exponentially.
But as you can see, we can’t know for sure how many blogs are there under WordPress. So let’s take a look at some of the other blogging platforms out there
How many Blogs are There on the Internet?
This might not come as a surprise to many, but WordPress doesn’t come close when we talk about the sheer number of blogs powered by a platform. Blogger (BlogSpot) and Tumblr are far ahead in this statistic.
Let’s consider Tumblr. In July 2017, a survey showcased that there were well over 350 million blogs from Tumblr alone. It also mentioned that the platform witnesses an increase of around 25 million new blogs every six months. In April of 2018, that number was well over 400 million.
And then comes Blogger – the Google-owned blogging platform. The sheer fact that it is owned by the search engine giant and allows for free blog creation attracts a lot of bloggers to the platform. On top of that, Blogger allows each user the option to create up to 100 blogs per account. But even here, we don’t get to see an exact figure on the total number of blogs powered by blogger.
And let’s not forget that there are blogs that are not dependent on any platform, for e.g., Links.net – which is considered the first ever blog on the internet. So clearly there are over 400 million blogs as of this moment. And lastly, carrying in more confusion into the discussion are the 12 million people blog using social networks.
So as you can see, it is hard to find the exact number of blogs on the internet. All we can be sure about is that there is at least a minimum of 400 million blogs as of 2018. Now to get an upper limit, let’s understand the vastness of the internet.
How Big is the Internet as a Whole?
There are currently around 1.9 billion active websites on the internet, and the number is rising every second. Do note that this is only a figure-showcasing the number of “active” websites. This is only 10-15% of all the websites, excluding the remaining 85% which includes all the inactive sites and parked domains.
If you are overwhelmed by the sheer number of websites, then brace yourself as the figure doesn’t even come close to describing how vast the internet is as a whole. This network of networks is not merely measured the number of URLs but constitutes all user-generated content, videos, social networks and much more.
Here are some stats that will help you get an idea on the vastness of the internet:
The internet has around 3.58 billion users – half the Earth’s population.
Asians account for 50% of all internet users.
In 2017, China held the record for the largest number of internet users which is well over 1 billion.
By 2019, the amount of data on the internet will reach 2 zettabytes or 2 billion-billion bytes.
So without the platforms openly disclosing how many bloggers are using their services, it is difficult to label down a precise figure with any reliability. And let’s not forget the number of blogs that are inactive and left in domain parking limbo.
More To Explore
Industry report Global Market Share of Search Engines (2020 report)
Industry report Ecommerce Statistics: Global Retail E-Commerce Sales 2014-2021 The