Amazon Statistics, Sales Figures (2020 report)
Amazon doesn’t require an introduction. If you’ve ever shopped online, then you might have felt and experienced its active presence in the market. It is the most popular and largest online retailers. But can you believe that Amazon started its voyage from a garage?
Yes! You heard it absolutely correct. The online retailer giant began its journey from a small garage; yes, it is a fact.
Read below some of the baffling information on Amazon.
We all know Amazon as an online shopping website where customers can buy almost everything. It is also an American multinational company known for cloud computing, artificial intelligence, e-commerce, and digital streaming. From cap to shoes and from kids’ toys to construction tools, you can purchase almost anything anytime on Amazon. And we cannot deny the fact that Amazon is taking over the world.
Jeff Bezos initially found Amazon in the year 1994, and since then, there’s no looking back for the company. Earlier, Amazon had a small office at Bellevue, Washington; however, today, Amazon has massive headquarters in Seattle, Washington, and Arlington, Virginia, United States.
Obviously, we all know that Amazon is a huge company, but these facts will help you understand how big it is!
Facts behind Amazon
As more people consume video based content now, it has lead to generation of more video content, which results in more consumption, thereby creating a feedback loop. Currently, video content has a huge impact on all web traffic. Here is a look at what the numbers have to say:
The original name of Jeff Bezos was Jeff Jorgensen. After divorce, Jeff’s mother got married to Mike Bezos. He later adopted Jeff and gave him his last name.
- During his school days, Jeff was pretty good in studies. He was a National Merit Scholar.
- To help Jeff with his big and innovative dream of Amazon, his parents gave him their savings of $300,000, and that was the right decision.
- Amazon started as a book retailer company.
- Jeff established the company in his garage in Bellevue, Washington.
- The name Amazon was not the first choice of Jeff. His first two choices were ‘Cadabra’ and ‘Relentless.’
- ‘Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies by Doug Hofstadter’ was the first-ever book sold on 3rd April 1995.
- When Amazon was a newbie, a bell used to ring every time a book gets sold. Later on, they stopped this mechanism as the alarm started ringing continuously with the super increase in purchasing.
- Amazon made Jeff Bezos one of the World’s Richest Man.
The first-ever product, booked or sold by Amazon, was a book. During the first month of the launch, the company sold books in 45 countries and 50 states. The sales helped Amazon generate about $95,000 within the first month. It was a great beginning, and Amazon had to go a long way. Undoubtedly, today, it is the biggest retailer in the online market. Amazon has also gained its customer’s trust, and this has helped it to become the most trustworthy online shopping website for the customers.
- Amazon’s 2018 net annual revenue was $232.89 billion
- During the 2nd quarter of 2019, Amazon generated US$63.4 billion in net sales.
- The third-party sellers contribute more than 50% of all Amazon sales.
- The total market share value or marketing capitalization of Amazon stock is $871.25 billion.
- Amazon captures 32% of the $80 Billion Cloud Market.
Amazon leads with 80% market share in many products:
- Electronics: 89.9%
- Household items: 88.8%
- Food: 81.8%
- Health: 92%
- Sports & Fitness items: 89.6%
- Home improvement: 83.8%
When you put a check on the popularity of Amazon, you will find that this online shopping website is far above the competition. It doesn’t matter which industry you belong, because a seller can sell almost everything on this shopping website. From groceries to clothes and from electronic appliances to furniture, Amazon can help you buy it all in just a few clicks, and this is what has made Amazon the most popular e-commerce websites across the globe.
- Amazon is the king of all the online retailers, and this makes it the most popular online shopping entity in the USA.
- In the year 2015, Amazon became the most valuable retailer in the United States and surpassed the market capitalization of Walmart.
- As per the survey by Feedvisor, in the year 2019, on 2000+ US customers, 89% of customers said they would buy a product from Amazon than any other shopping website.
- As per the survey of Marketplace Pulse in the year 2019, Amazon has more than 2.5 million active sellers.
- Every year more than a million new sellers join Amazon.
Amazon Mobile App
With Mobile Apps, the online shopping experience has become seamless. You shop sitting on your cozy bed, at the comfort of your home via Mobile Application, of that specific shopping website. We also cannot deny the fact that having a mobile application is always good news for a company irrespective of the industry it belongs to as it can make the transactions quick and fast. Mobile App offers customers with more rapid accessibility and ease of use. After all, we love to do things in a lazy style.
- Amazon brought its Mobile app on 2nd March 2011 and made shopping super easier for its customers.
- In the year 2019, 145.2 million mobile users accessed the mobile application of Amazon, which is the highest in the world.
- The second one on the list is Walmart, which is way behind with only 76.45 million users in the same year.
- 67% of Amazon Shoppers prefer to shop using their laptops or desktop computer specified the CPC Strategy survey of 2018.
- Each month approximately 197 million people visit Amazon.com on either a laptop, desktop on smartphones.
If you are willing to get some special privileges from Amazon, you have to become its Prime Member. Amazon announced this fantastic program on 2nd February 2005, and since then-Prime services started receiving an enormous response.
Amazon Prime is a paid subscription service offered by Amazon. Here you have to pay a certain amount, and you get access to services that would otherwise be unavailable to a typical Amazon customer. Some of the benefits a Prime Member can get includes streaming music and video, free two-day delivery, cost reduction, etc.
- There were about 103 million US Amazon Prime subscribers, up from 95 million in June 2018.
- As per a survey in 2019, 20% of the Amazon Prime subscribers said that they shop through Amazon at least once a week.
- According to the same survey, 7% of Amazon Prime subscribers manage to shop daily.
- In a 2019 survey by Statista, 88% of Indian adults said that they had ordered something in a year using Amazon.
- Amazon Prime Members’ favorite categories are electronics, apparel, and home and kitchen appliances in the USA.
As I have already mentioned, Amazon is the largest online retailer house; this makes it a company with millions of products in the store. Every category of Amazon has an enormous range of products. In fact, one can also find thousands of options available for a single product. The wide array of choices help the customers to buy the product matching their priorities and budget. One can explore thousands of categories and brands on Amazon to get what they actually want to buy.
Amazon product facts:
- Out of all the product categories, the electronic items were the most popular products purchased by Amazon shoppers in the United States, to date.
- The largest category in Amazon is Books, containing 44.2 million titles.
- As of April 2019, Amazon.com has a total of 119,928,851 products selling on its e-commerce website.
- As per the CNBC 2018 survey, during the Amazon Prime day of 2018, Shoppers purchased more than 100 million products.
- On average, SMBs (small and medium-sized businesses) located in the US sell more than 4,000 items per minute.
- As per the EPiServer survey 2019, 23% of online shoppers, in the state of confusion, go first on Amazon for product information and inspiration.
- 9 out of 10 consumers price check a product on Amazon.
Apart from selling millions of products, Amazon distributes streaming and downloading of music, video, and audiobooks as Amazon Music and Amazon Prime Videos. Amazon also has a cloud computing subsidiary, Amazon Web Services and a publishing arm, Amazon Studios, and Amazon Publishing. Amazon also produces consumer electronics, including Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Echo devices.
Out of all these, the most popular and highly appreciated device of Amazon is Amazon Echo, followed by Kindle e-reader. Amazon Alexa is a virtual assistant first used on Amazon Echo, and Amazon Echo Dot. In simple words, Alexa is the brain of the Echo, which gets alert when you call its name.
Amazon devises facts:
- The hot-selling device of Amazon is Alexa.
- Alexa has approximately 90,000 skills, controls more than 4,000 home devices, and is available on 60,000 devices.
- More than 100 million devices that can run Alexa have sold to date.
- In the last 12 months period, the language recognition ability of Alexa has improved more than 25% in the UK and US.
- More than 9 million people own Amazon Echo.
- Amazon employed more than 5,000 people to work on Alexa.
- Setting a timer is the most popular skill of Alexa.
- Comparing to the previous years, twice the number of Fire TV sticks and Kids Edition Fire Tablets have sold in the current year.
Amazon is a successful business module today, and all this is because of its strong customer base. Users can buy almost everything on Amazon, and it has also gained the customer’s confidence. These two things make Amazon the biggest ever eCommerce website. Here are some stats that will tell you how popular this gigantic retailer website is, among its users.
- Amazon has more than a hundred million of Amazon Prime Subscribers.
- As per the stats, more than 72 percent of Amazon users spend about $100 to $500 every year while shopping on a website.
- Research also states that Amazon customers spend about one-third of their Friday-fun money to purchase something from Amazon.
- More 26 million Amazon Prime members watch Prime Videos regularly.
Important Amazon facts:
Other than the facts about Amazon Prime, users, and its devices, there are many impressive stats about Amazon that will surprise you. Let’s have a look.
- On average, Amazon sells $410 million products every day, which makes $17 million every hour, more than $283,000 per minute, and finally $4,722 every second.
- Amazon holds a patent on 1-click buying.
- There are more than 117,000 workers consistently working for Amazon.
- Amazon believes in serving the environment by reducing the number of packaging wastage. Keeping it as a policy, they have started an initiative and reduced around 305 million boxes this year.
- Around half of the products sold by Amazon belongs to the third-party sellers. They sell it using Amazon’s third-party selling platform.
- The Amazon Phoenix fulfillment center is 1.2 million square feet.
- In all, Amazon has 1,510,000 customers, which is 738% more than the initial stage.
- Once the Amazon website went down for 40 minutes, that led to a loss of about $4.8 million.
- Amazon’s innovative renewable energy projects are supplying power to more than 330,000 homes every year and are on the verge of improvement.
- The Amazon Phoenix fulfillment center is 1.2 million square feet.
Considering the stats and figures, we can say that Amazon has won people’s trust with its produces and services. Even sellers consider Amazon has the best retailer website and the toughest competition for other e-commerce websites. The company keeps on improving in terms of product quality and quantity, services offered, and customer satisfaction. Amazon maintains an excellent courier tracking system and keeps posting information about the cargo movements.
The shopping experience with Amazon is fabulous. You never feel the heat when you want to return a product. Amazon’s no question return policy is one of the best of its kind, which makes doing business with Amazon a wonderful experience. It enjoys solid customer loyalty, and it will make one thing clear, Amazon is an undisputed king in the online shopping business, and it will remain here despite challenges.
More To Explore
Industry report Overview of Facebook live Statistics, Usage And Facts
Industry report Overview of Web Hosting Statistics, Market share And